Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
- March 5, 2023
- 0 Likes
- 8 Views
- 0 Comments
Abnormal bleeding from the uterus, which is extremely heavy or is unpredictable is known as abnormal uterine bleeding. It can happen anytime during the monthly cycle and sometimes make it difficult to tolerate.
Whenever the monthly period gives you a tough time and you are left with no choice but to sit back home and giving up your daily routine, then it is an alarming sign and you should visit a doctor.
The signs & symptoms of abnormal uterine bleeding include:
- Heavy bleeding during periods
- Abnormal bleeding after intercourse
- Irregular periods
- Menstruation that last for more than 7 days
- Spotting between periods
There can be multiple causes of abnormal uterine bleeding from physical problem with a uterus to hormonal imbalance. Usually the hormone problem is the cause of it in many cases.
Below are some other common and uncommon causes of it:
- During ovulation, a condition when the ovaries release an egg, estrogen makes the lining of the uterus (endometrium) and when it grows abruptly, then it can affect the bleeding during menstruation, usually it can be irregular or extremely heavy.
- Stress: Both emotional or physical stress can cause hormonal dysfunction and leads to abnormal uterine bleeding.
- Some medications can also be responsible for such condition, including birth control pills.
- A body which gains weight and loses it very quickly is prone to abnormal bleeding
- In some cases an intrauterine device can also affect the hormones and result in such condition.
- Physical conditions like fibroids, polyp, cervical and endometrial cancers etc are other factors for it.
Diagnosis and investigations
Abnormal bleeding should not be ignored and it is advisable that you should consult your gynaecologist for investigations and treatment. After clinical and physical examination your gynaecologist will advice you following investigations
- Routine blood investigations and tumour markers if required
- Colposcopy or hysteroscopy if required
- Biopsy of any suspicious lesion
- In case of suspicion or proven cancer, magnetic resonance imaging ( MRI) will be done to know the extent of the disease
The treatment for abnormal uterine bleeding depends on multiple factors, including the cause, condition and whether or not the patient is planning to have a baby. This is precisely important to know because some of the treatments either make it difficult for a woman to get pregnant or completely impossible.
The pathological conditions like fibroid, polyps and cancers will required definitive medical or surgical treatment. The choice of the surgical procedure will depend upon disease and stage of the disease . The routine procedures for above mentioned conditions are endoscopic polypectomy, hysterectomy, myomectomy and radical hysterectomy In case of cancers. These surgeries can be performed by both by conventional and minimal access surgical techniques.
To know more, consult our team of the best surgeons at gynaecologists at Surgeons House Limited (SHL) available at different global locations. Please click this link for more details.2020-05-21 00:03:53https://thesurgeonshouse.com/?p=14513
Leave Your Comment