Appendix removal surgery
- March 5, 2023
- 0 Likes
- 7 Views
- 0 Comments
Appendix removal surgery as the name suggests involves surgery of the appendix either by conventional open surgery or minimal access surgery also called as laparoscopic surgery . Appendix is tubular structure present at the Cecal part of large intestine.
The laparoscopic surgery is performed by placing the specialised instruments in the abdomain and performing surgery on the monitor under complete vision.
Appendix surgeries are most commonly performed emergency and routine surgeries. With the advancements of techniques and improvisation of surgical skills the surgical results of appendix surgeries have become excellent with time and patients can be discharge with one day.
The types of gallbladder surgery performed either via open conventional appendectomy surgery or laparoscopic appendectomy. In cases with rupture of the base of the appendix or mucinous carcinoma of appendix patients might require laparoscopic or conventional right colectomy.
Indications of appendix removal surgery
- Acute appendicitis
- Recurrent appendicitis
- Appendicular abscess
- Appendicular perforation
- Mucinous carcinoma of appendix
- Carcinoid tumours is appendix
Once you are planned for surgery the surgeon will explain all the details , it’s risk involved , informed consent and recovery protocols after the surgery they are planning to perform. Usually the length of the procedure will depend upon the extent of the surgery.
- Surgery is performed under General anaesthesia
- Particular position of the patients according to the area of the surgery is given to the patient (commonly done in supine position)
- Technically incision ( MC burnys incision) is commonly given in conventional surgery.
- In laparoscopic surgery, Small hole are made to enter the abdomain using video scope to assess the complete abdominal cavity and area of the disease. please note the extent of surgery can be different in appendix cancer patients.
- Mobilisation of the appendix along division of mesoappendix is done to reach the base of the appendix.
- Surgery is performed using specialised instruments, energy sources, loos and occasionally staplers allowing appropriate division of base.
- Appendix is removed through the small cut made of instruments and abdominal drain if required is placed.
Recovery after surgery
- The patient might be kept in post operative care unit for initial observation and management. Bleeding, infection and leaks are risks involved after these surgeries.
- Diet is usually started once your bowel function starts returning after surgery usually within some hours after surgery
- Early mobilisation of the patient is recommended.
- Routine blood check up after surgery is usually not required in case of gallbladder surgery
- The patients are usually discharge on the same day or within 1-2 days.
Advantages of Laparoscopic appendectomy surgery
- Big incision is avoided which is used in conventional surgery which causes significant discomfort and pain.
- Early recovery
- Early healing of the wound
- Shorter stay of hospital
- Early mobilisation and early return to work
- Scar is minimal
To consult with best team of General and minimal access surgeons available at The Surgeons House (SHL) in different global locations, please click this link for more details.2020-05-22 21:24:31https://thesurgeonshouse.com/?p=14600
Leave Your Comment