- March 5, 2023
- 0 Likes
- 10 Views
- 0 Comments
Hernias are abnormal profusion of the internal contents of abdominal ( visceral cavity) from the muscular defect in the body. Hernia surgery as the name suggests involves surgery of the hernia of various different regions of the body either by conventional open surgery or minimal access surgery also called as laparoscopic surgery. The laparoscopic surgery is performed by placing the specialised instruments in the abdomain and performing surgery on the monitor under complete vision.
Hernia surgeries are most commonly performed routinely surgeries. With the advancements of techniques and improvisation of surgical skills the surgical results of hernia surgeries have become excellent with time and patients can be discharge on the same day.
The types of gallbladder surgery performed either via open conventional surgery or laparoscopic hernia surgery are laparoscopic groin hernia surgery( TEP/TAPP/e-TEP) , laparoscopic ventral hernia surgery ( IPOM/ IPOM plus/ e-TEP/ SCOLA / TAR)
Indications of hernia surgery
- Inguinal Hernia ( and Groin hernias ) ( one sided and both sides)
- Paraumblical hernia
- Incisional hernia
- Sub coastal hernia
- Lumbar hernia
- Epigastric Hernia
- Obstructed hernia surgery
Once you are planned for surgery the surgeon will explain all the details , it’s risk involved , informed consent and recovery protocols after the surgery they are planning to perform. Usually the length of the procedure will depend upon the extent of the surgery.
- Surgery is performed under General anaesthesia/ Regional Anesthesia)
- Particular position of the patients according to the area of the surgery is given to the patient (commonly done in supine position)
- Technically incision is given upon extent of surgery and preference of surgery
- In laparoscopic surgery, Small hole are made to enter the abdomain using video scope to assess the complete abdominal cavity and area of the disease.
- Each hernia surgery has some difference in steps of preforming surgery depending upon the location of the hernia. The basic principle relies on reduction of the contents of the hernia , delineating the defect of the hernia, covering the defect with the mesh to prevent the recurrence.
- Surgery is performed using specialised instruments, energy sources , clips.
Recovery after surgery
- The patient is kept in post operative care unit for initial observation and management. Pain, occasional infections and recurrence are concerns after these surgeries.
- Diet is usually started once your bowel function starts returning after surgery usually within some hours after surgery
- Early mobilisation of the patient is recommended.
- Routine blood check up after surgery is usually not required in case of hernia surgery
- The patients usually require hospital stay for 1-2 days.
Advantages of Laparoscopic hernia surgery
- Big incision is avoided which is used in conventional surgery which causes significant discomfort and pain.
- Early recovery
- Early healing of the wound
- Shorter stay of hospital
- Early mobilisation and early return to work
- Scar is minimal
To consult with best team of General and minimal access surgeons available at The Surgeons House (SHL) in different global locations, please click this link for more details.2020-05-22 21:20:27https://thesurgeonshouse.com/?p=14587
Leave Your Comment