- March 5, 2023
- 0 Likes
- 7 Views
- 0 Comments
Prostate cancers accounts for 7% cancer in adult males. Prostate is organ situated around the proximal part of the male urethra. It is noticed that prostate is enlarged with advancing age of males and these problems become more prominent in old age. Prostatic cancers usually go unnoticed in early stages and give rise to symptoms once they grow rapidly.
Common symptoms of prostatic cancer are related to prostatic enlargement
- Hesitancy in urination ( passing urine)
- Frequency and repeated urge for urination
- Repeatedly getting up in night for urination
- Poor stream of urination
- Repeated urinary infections
- Blood while passing urine
- Symptoms of spread of tumour to bladder, surrounding structures , bones and other organs.
It’s extremely important that patients don’t Indore the symptoms and should visit there clinician/ surgeon for examination. Surgeons using perform Digital rectal examination ( DRE) to assess the size and growth of the prostate.
Diagnosis and investigations of prostatic cancers
- Routine blood investigations with urine analysis
- Serum prostatic specific antigen (PSA) to screen prostatic cancer
- Ultrasonography of bladder and prostatic to asses the size of prostate and volume of urine left after urination
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is done to know the extension of cancer in the surrounding area. PET CT scan is done to assess the spread of the tumour in the body.
The decision for medical or surgical management depends upon the stage of the prostate cancers and physical status of the patients. Urologist surgeons and cancer physicians decide upon the treatment protocol for management of the patients.
Treatment for prostatic cancers
Surgery remains the mainstay of the management when the cancer is confined to the prostate itself. Radical prostatectomy ( Robotic / conventional open surgery ) is the conventional surgery for the prostate cancer which involves removal entire prostate gland along the fat tissue contains cancers cells. Other modalities which are use after the surgery or in advanced stages of prostatic cancer is chemotherapy, radiation therapy and hormonal therapy.
To consult with best team of general and urologist surgeons available at The Surgeons House (SHL) in different global locations, please click this link for more details.2020-05-21 00:07:58https://thesurgeonshouse.com/?p=14531
Leave Your Comment